If our current job openings do not include jobs that you are interested in at this time, you may complete an online job interest card and you will be notified by email when the jobs open for recruitment. There are two ways to sign up for job notifications – either by specific job titles or by job category.
Human Resources cannot reset your password. You must follow the online instructions for resetting your password or contact NEOGOV at (855) 524-5627.
We realize that finding the right job is not easy. You may have additional questions or need other assistance. If you need help, please call 909.387.8304 and you will be directed to the appropriate staff member. You may also contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our office in San Bernardino (7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday).
View the current job postings on the Current Job Openings page. New postings are added at least once per week. These postings are issued when there are current or expected future job vacancies. Postings contain important information such as minimum job requirements, examination process and application procedures. Some jobs are open for “continuous” recruitment without a specified closing date; however, they are subject to closure at any time. Others are open for a limited time period with a definite closing date and time after which applications will not be accepted. Once you find a position of interest, click on the “Apply” link. Create an account, if you haven’t already done so, and submit your application following the step-by-step process. Applications must be filled out completely and clearly demonstrate that the minimum requirements are met. Applications are only accepted during the recruitment period indicated in the posting. A separate application must be submitted for each position. Résumés are not accepted in lieu of the County application.
Eligible veterans and their spouse or widow(er) who are not current County employees may be awarded additional Veteran’s Preference points. To claim Veterans Preference, you must indicate your request on the application. Unless already on file with Human Resources, all documentation must be submitted by the recruitment filing deadline. For additional information, please refer to the Veteran’s Preference Policy.
Veteran’s preference points will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Veteran – Five (5) points:Copy of DD214 or V.A. letter required
- Spouse of a disabled veteran – Five (5) points: Copy of spouse’s DD214 and evidence of disability (i.e., V.A. letter indicating percentage of disability) required
- Widow(er) of a veteran – Five (5) points: Copy of DD1300 required
- Disabled veteran – Ten (10) points: Copy of DD214 and evidence of disability (i.e., V.A. letter indicating percentage of disability) required
It is important that you indicate your location preferences on the application. As vacancies occur in different locations, the names of qualified applicants are referred to the hiring departments.
There is a six (6) month waiting period to re-apply for the same job (title and level.
For most jobs, we accept and encourage online applications. This improves processing time and is easier for hiring departments to review. The job posting includes specific requirements and instructions. Read the posting carefully and only apply for positions in which you meet the minimum requirements.
Information about your experience, including employment dates and hours worked per week, must be provided. Résumés are not accepted as a substitute for a fully completed application form. Do not use statements such as “see/refer to résumé” or “see attached” on the application. Keep a copy of your application for reference as Human Resources is unable to provide photocopies.
Be Honest and Truthful: Misrepresentation or falsification of information on an application or any verification documents is grounds for disqualification and/or termination of employment. The County reserves the right to investigate the accuracy of any information submitted. This may involve contacting educational institutions, former employers, and law enforcement agencies.
Upon submission of the online application, you will see a confirmation message and receive an e-mail confirmation shortly thereafter.
View our List of Current Openings. Once you find a position of interest, click on the “Apply” option located to the right of the job title. You will create an account that must include a unique username and password. Once you have created your account and logged in, follow the step by step application process. This application can be saved and used to apply for more than one job opening. Note: Each applicant must use his/her own e-mail address when setting up an account. Only one account per applicant is allowed. Do not share your username and password with anyone. If you need assistance updating your existing account, complete and submit the Change of Information Request.
Applicants are encouraged to submit applications online. Kiosks are available at the Human Resources office, which is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Paper applications may also be obtained at the office. Résumés will not be accepted in lieu of the County application, but may be attached to a completed application. Note: There is a six (6) month waiting period to re-apply for the same job posting (title and level).
Keep HR updated on any changes to your contact information so that you do not miss out on any opportunities. It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to immediately notify the Employment Division using the Change of Information Form and click SUBMIT in the lower right hand corner.
IMPORTANT: Updating your contact information on your online applicant account will not update the information on applications already submitted, so be sure to submit your request for change of information as instructed above.
Candidate are placed in the eligible list for six months, unless otherwise indicated in the job posting or otherwise notified by Human Resources. Candidates may be removed from the Eligible List before the six-month timeframe for reasons including, but not limited to: hired into the classification or a higher classification, declined a job offer, failed to appear for an interview, waived three interviews, or County has been unable to reach the candidate with the contact information provided.
Tip: Make sure Human Resources has updated contact information and if you are unable to make it to a scheduled interview, be sure to call us and cancel.
County Human Resources is responsible for recruiting to establish lists of eligible candidates to fill vacant positions in all County departments. Recruitments may be posted (www.sbcounty.gov/jobs) with a specific filing deadline or on a continuous basis as needed to fill vacancies.
- Applications are received and screened for minimum qualifications by Human Resources Analysts.
- Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications are advanced and invited to participate in the testing process; candidates who do not meet the minimum requirements will be notified and will not advance.
- Candidates successful in the testing process are placed on a ranked eligible list based on their test scores and notified of their list placement. Those who are not successful will also be notified of their results.
- As vacancies occur, Human Resources will certify lists of top candidates from the eligible list and refer to the hiring department to conduct interviews.
- The hiring department will select candidates to interview and make a conditional job offer.
- Candidates who receive a job offer must pass a background investigation and pre-employment physical prior to appointment.
- Notifications are sent according to your selected notification preference (email) on your application. Applicants will receive one of three types of notifications:
- Ineligibility (did not meet minimum requirements)
- Not successful in the examination process
- Achieved a passing score and placed on the eligible list
- Applicants successful in the examination process, shall be placed in one of the six following bands:
- Band 1: 95-100
- Band 2: 90-94
- Band 3: 85-89
- Band 4: 80-84
- Band 5: 75-79
- Band 6: 70-74
Individuals with disabilities who require accommodations in the testing process must submit the Special Testing Accommodations Request form within one week of the recruitment filing deadline or prior to taking a test, whichever is sooner.
For questions, contact 909.387.8304 or the California Relay Service: 711 (for TTY users).
Make-up requests for a missed scheduled examination will only be granted in cases where it is legally mandated (i.e., military service), the candidate is fulfilling a civic duty (i.e., jury duty), or is on official San Bernardino County business. A Make-Up Examination Request form must be submitted to Human Resources within 7 working days of the missed examination.
Note: A request will not be approved if the scheduled exam was missed due to a vacation.
You may prepare by carefully reviewing the job announcement, particularly the section describing the examination process and areas that will be assessed. Test/skills related reference materials may be available online or at your public library.
Note: The County does not provide study guides for the written examination
- In order to be referred to hiring departments, you must participate and be successful in the established examination process. The examination process may include the following steps:
- Submitting a completed County application
- Meeting minimum job requirements
- Achieving a competitive score on one or more of the following:
A written examination of technical knowledge, skills, and abilities
- An oral examination
- A performance examination (i.e., typing, equipment operation, agility/physical fitness)
- An evaluation of application materials for measurement of education, experience and training
- Achieving a competitive score on one or more of the following:
- Applicants reporting for testing must show government issued personal identification such as a driver’s license, state ID card, military ID card, etc. Your examination notice will include the date, time and location of your scheduled exam. If you have not received an examination notice a week prior to the exam date indicated on the job posting, contact us at 909.387.8304. For a map and directions to our test centers, visit the Testing Location